Employer: Alice Springs Hospital, Central Australia Health Service
Salary: Base salary $103,969 - $116,440
Closing application date: 30/04/2020
Primary Objective: Manage and provide a clinical chemotherapy pharmacy service to the Central Australian Health Service (CAHS), including liaison with compounding providers, coordinating clinical trials and administration of the Chemotherapy Pharmaceutical Access Programme (CPAP) scheme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a specialist clinical pharmacy service to patients receiving chemotherapy within CAHS.
- Provide line management, training and supervisory support to pharmacy staff involved in chemotherapy services and advise the Director regarding the needs and issues of staff.
- Coordinate and administer the CPAP scheme for CAHS.
- Co-ordinate the development of policy, protocol and guideline documents related to chemotherapy services, medication management and quality improvement activities.
- Ensure the Clinical chemotherapy service meets all National work health and safety and professional standards and make recommendations to the Director where appropriate.
- Coordinate research activity related to the chemotherapy service, maintain contemporary knowledge and professional development, and deliver professional development activities and education.
- Provide training and supervision to pharmacy staff, be an SHPA Residency Preceptor, assist with performance management and peer review, and undergo regular performance management for self.
- Take an active role in the pharmacy senior management team at Alice Springs Hospital, contribute to additional rosters as required and be available for emergency duties after hours relating to responsibility of the position.
- Follow defined service quality standards, work health and safety policies and procedures relating to the work being undertaken in order to ensure high quality, safe services and workplaces
- Foster a positive workplace culture through exemplary leadership practices and role modelling behaviour.
Further Information: Department of Health has a Smoke Free Policy. Staff are not permitted to smoke anywhere on Departmental premises, facilities or vehicle nor whilst working off-site. The preferred or recommended applicant will be required to hold a current working with children clearance notice and undergo a criminal history check. A criminal history will not exclude an applicant from this position unless it is relevant to the position.
- Commencing in July will allow for approx 4 weeks of supernumerary handover and training, particularly if the successful applicant has not worked in NT hospitals before.
- Hours of work are 8am to 4.21pm Monday to Friday (1 hour lunch). The department is open for reduced hours on weekends and public holidays. You will be required to participate in the weekend, on-call and the Tennant Creek Hospital rosters, all of which entail additional pay.
- Up to $500 reimbursement for costs incurred for relocating to Alice Springs
- SIX weeks of paid annual recreation leave, plus leave loading
- Salary sacrifice of up to $9 005 is available. Additional salary sacrifice can be accessed through car leases and meals.
- Professional Development Allowance up to $550 per full year of service, for assistance with continuing professional development, seminars, conferences, research or maintaining qualifications.
- On-site accommodation may be available for a nominal rent, subject to availability.
- Access to full/partial government scholarships for post-graduate studies and other work-related courses.
- Study leave days available after 6 months of service
- 6 month clinical rotations
- Pharmacists working in Alice Springs are eligible for the 6CPA funding to support costs associated with travel and accommodation to attend professional development activities
- A degree or equivalent in Pharmacy and registration as a pharmacist with the Pharmacy Board of Australia
- Extensive contemporary clinical pharmacy experience (preferably in a chemotherapy setting) and demonstrated ability to maintain currency of clinical knowledge.
- Proven capacity to coordinate clinical pharmacy services and manage staff.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills, and ability to work as a part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Desmonstrated experience in Quality Improvement and Work Health and Safety and how they relate to chemotherapy services.
- Experience in and knowledge of the administration of the CPAP as it relates to public hospitals.
- Extensive experience in the development of chemotherapy protocols, guidelines and policies, and provision of continuing education to healthcare staff and patient groups.
- Proficiency in using Information Technology and electronic medication management systems in clinical settings.
- An ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures.
Relevant postgraduate qualification in clinical pharmacy, education or research; or current Stage 3 Advanced Practice credentials
Alice Springs Hospital (ASH) has over 200 beds and has a catchment area of 1.6 million square kilometers. Tertiary referral centres are over 1500km away, making this a service of last resort. The hospital has links with multiple Australian Pharmacy Schools and is a teaching centre for Flinders Medical School. Areas of speciality include Indigenous health, Renal, Intensive Care, Infectious Diseases, Emergency, Maternity and Obstetrics, Rehabilitation, Hospital in the Home, Palliative Care, Day Oncology, Mental Health, and General Medical, Surgical and Paediatric areas.
The pharmacy is a modern and progressive department which employs 16 pharmacists, 1 intern pharmacist and 10 pharmacy technicians. Services provided include ward based clinical and drug information services to Alice Springs and Tennant Creek Hospitals, as well as in-patient and out-patient dispensing, and non-sterile manufacturing. The regional pharmacy provides medicines and advice to remote health clinics in the NT, WA, SA and QLD border. We have a strong commitment to professional development and will support the successful candidate to further their clinical skills. ASH Pharmacy has been an accredited SHPA Foundations Residency Program site since 2017 and continues to offer a robust Program to some junior pharmacists.
Clinical Pharmacists also have the opportunity to rotate to Tennant Creek Hospital to be the sole pharmacist on-site for up to 2 weeks at a time. Transport is by light aircraft with the Royal Flying Doctor Service or chartered plane.
The Northern Territory is a great place to live and work, with a young, multi-cultural population, a rich culture, great schools and strong employment and real estate growth.
The Central Australian climate is desert, with hot summers and cool winters and supports a relaxed, outdoor lifestyle. Spectacular natural attractions such as the MacDonnell ranges and the Larapinta Trail are on your back doorstep. Alice Springs is the closest town to Uluru, Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Watarrka (Kings Canyon), popular Australian icons that attract thousands of international tourists each year.
To keep you entertained, Alice Springs has state-of-the-art sporting facilities, cinemas, a strong emphasis on community arts, and a great social atmosphere. The Territory is building on its strengths to make the future even brighter and is filled with opportunity – for individuals and for families. For more information on living and working in the NT, visit www.theterritory.com.au “The Territory – Boundless Possible”
How to apply:
Go to https://jobs.nt.gov.au/Home/Search (or use the link below), and search “038865” in “Vacancy Number”.
How to ApplyVia this website
Download this position description and apply directly: Further Information:
Contact: Angela Young 08 89517570