Employer: Alice Springs Hospital, Central Australia Health Service
Salary: Remuneration Package $116,983 - $130,817 (including salary $101,433 – 113,600)
Closing application date: 25/02/2019
*** Pharmacists with experience in Mental Health preferred however this position is also open to those with an interest in the area ***
Primary Objective: Provide a comprehensive clinical pharmacy service to Mental Health Central Australia Health Services (MHCAHS) and ensure that all pharmacy services provided are of the highest ethical and professional standards consistent with Departmental and Mental Health policies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide a comprehensive clinical pharmacy service to MHCAHS as outlined in the duty statement.
2. Coordinate & deliver educational programs on therapeutics and quality use of medicines for staff & patients.
3. Coordinate & conduct Continuous Quality Improvement activities within Pharmacy Department & MHCAHS.
4. Conduct regular audits and monitor performance against NSQHS standards for medication safety and actively participate in the Mental Health Medication Safety Working Group and other committees as required.
5. Provide a liaison and advisory role between the acute and community sectors of MHCAHS.
6. Contribute to communicating medication information handover between transitions of care.
7. Support MHCAHS staff with compliance for monitoring and supply of Highly Specialised medicines
8. Maintain a commitment to ensuring contemporary knowledge and professional development through membership of appropriate organisations and attendance at relevant courses of study.
9. Aid in the training of clinical pharmacists to established standards, assist with performance management of clinical pharmacists, and undergo regular performance management for self.
10. Contribute to the weekend, on-call, after hour’s and Tennant Creek Hospital roster of the pharmacy department as required. Be available for emergency duties after hours relating to responsibility of the position.
11. Foster a positive workplace culture through exemplary leadership practices and role modelling behaviour.
12. Follow defined service quality standards, work health and safety policies and procedures relating to the work being undertaken in order to ensure high quality, safe services and workplaces
Further Information: Department of Health has a Smoke Free Policy. Staff are not permitted to smoke anywhere on Departmental premises, facilities or vehicle nor whilst working off-site. The preferred or recommended applicant will be required to hold a current working with children clearance notice and undergo a criminal history check. A criminal history will not exclude an applicant from this position unless it is relevant to the position.
– Hours of work are 8am to 4.21pm Monday to Friday (1 hour lunch). The department is open for reduced hours on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. You will be required to participate in the weekend, on-call and the Tennant Creek Hospital rosters, all of which entail additional pay/allowances.
– Up to $500 reimbursement for costs incurred for relocating to Alice Springs
– On-site accommodation available for a nominal rent, subject to availability
– SIX weeks of paid annual recreation leave, plus leave loading
– Salary sacrifice up to $9 005; additional salary sacrifice accessed through meal cards and car leases
– Pharmacists working in Alice Springs are eligible for the 6CPA funding to support costs associated with travel and accommodation to attend professional development activities
1. Degree or equivalent qualification in Pharmacy and registration with the Pharmacy Board of Australia.
2. Extensive contemporary clinical pharmacy experience and specialisation (including mental health).
3. Proven capacity to coordinate clinical pharmacy services and supervise professional staff.
4. Knowledge and understanding of the principles of CQI and how they relate to hospital pharmacy practice.
5. Practical understanding of the NSQHS standards and the national accreditation scheme for health services.
6. Extensive experience in the provision of continuing education, and professional support to other staff.
7. Proven commitment to ongoing development of professional knowledge and skills.
8. Sound communication skills, the ability to think laterally and problem solve independently with initiative.
9. An ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures.
1. Postgraduate qualifications in clinical pharmacy.
Alice Springs Hospital (ASH) has over 180 beds and is the sole hospital in Central Australia with a catchment area of 1.6 million square kilometers. The hospital has links with multiple Australian Pharmacy Schools and is a teaching centre for Flinders Medical School. Areas of speciality include Indigenous health, Renal, Intensive Care, Infectious Diseases, Emergency, Maternity and Obstetrics, Rehabilitation, Hospital in the Home, Palliative Care, Day Oncology, Mental Health, and General Medical, Surgical and Paediatric areas.
The pharmacy is a modern and progressive department which employs 13 pharmacists, 1 intern pharmacist and 10 pharmacy technicians. Services provided include ward based clinical and drug information services to Alice Springs and Tennant Creek Hospitals, as well as in-patient and out-patient dispensing, and non-sterile manufacturing. The regional pharmacy provides medicines and advice to remote health clinics in the NT, WA, SA and QLD border. We have a strong commitment to professional development and will support the successful candidate to further their clinical skills.
The Northern Territory is a great place to live and work, with a young, multi-cultural population, a rich culture, great schools and strong employment and real estate growth.
The Central Australian climate is desert, with hot summers and cool winters and supports a relaxed, outdoor lifestyle. Spectacular natural attractions such as the MacDonnell ranges and the Larapinta Trail are on your back doorstep. Alice Springs is the closest town to Uluru, Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Watarrka (Kings Canyon), popular Australian icons that attract thousands of international tourists each year.
To keep you entertained, Alice Springs has state-of-the-art sporting facilities, cinemas, a strong emphasis on community arts, and a great social atmosphere. The Territory is building on its strengths to make the future even brighter and is filled with opportunity – for individuals and for families. For more information on living and working in the NT visit www.australiasnorthernterritory.com.au “The Northern Territory – come share our story”
We are currently seeking an adventurous, enthusiastic, motivated pharmacist to join our clinical pharmacy team.
How to ApplyDownload this position description and apply directly: Further Information:
Contact: Angela Young 08 89517570