Job Code: 39247
Employer: Royal Darwin and Palmerston Hospitals
Salary: $103,969 - $116,440
Closing application date: 25/02/2020
Hospital Information – Royal Darwin Hospital (RDH) and Palmerston Regional Hospital (PRH)
Royal Darwin Hospital (RDH) is fully accredited and the premier teaching hospital in the Northern Territory with over 400 beds. It has links with Flinders Medical School, Menzies School of Health Research, and the Charles Darwin University. Palmerston Regional Hospital (PRH) is a new 116-bed sub-campus of the RDH with services integrated across the two campuses.
Specialties include Aboriginal health, renal medicine, critical care units (both adult and neonatal), tropical diseases, cancer services, and mental health services in addition to standard medical, surgical and paediatric areas.
The pharmacy department is modern and progressive. The department is made up of 36 pharmacists and 24 pharmacy technicians.
Services provided include ward based clinical and drug information services, in-patient and out-patient dispensing, sterile and non-sterile manufacturing. The regional pharmacy provides services to remote health centres giving you the opportunity to deliver clinical pharmacy services to patients and staff living in the outback.
Primary Objective: Manage the development and implementation of strategies for improving Medication Safety and quality use of medicines in Top
End Health Service (TEHS) hospitals by ensuring safe and effective medication management systems are in place. Co-ordinate the delivery of clinical
pharmacy education and training to ensure the delivery of a high quality, culturally appropriate and effective clinical pharmacy services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide secretariat duties for the TEHS Medication Safety Committee, including provision of regular reports to TEHS executive regarding
progress of medication safety initiatives being undertaken within TEHS.
- Co-ordinate the development of policy, protocol and guideline documents related to medication management.
- Undertake quality improvement activities including regular audits and monitor performance against National Safety and Quality Health
Service (NSQHS) standards for medication safety.
- Review medication incidents occurring in TEHS hospitals, identify trends, provide recommendations for system level improvements to the
TEHS Medication Safety Committee and communicate medication safety alerts to staff members.
- Undertake the role of the pharmacy clinical champion for the health services electronic medication management applications.
- Provide line management, training and supervisory support to pharmacy staff and undergo regular performance management for self.
- Co-ordinate clinical education activities within the pharmacy department including student placements, clinical education, intern training
programs, research activity, and staff development.
- Provide clinical pharmacy services in accordance with departmental guidelines to nominated areas and contribute to the weekend, on-call
and after hour’s roster as required.
- Take an active role in the senior pharmacy team through attendance at meetings and other activities as required.
- Follow defined service quality standards, work health and safety policies and procedures relating to the work being undertaken in order to
ensure high quality, safe services and workplaces
- Foster a positive workplace culture through exemplary leadership practices and role modelling behaviour.
- Six weeks paid annual leave with 17% loading
- Three weeks personal leave per annum
- Superannuation contributions of 9% are paid by the NT government
- Salary sacrifice of up to $9 010 into personal loans, residential rent, Novated vehicle leasing and other items.
- Salary sacrifice into superannuation
Short-term on-site accommodation may be available for a nominal rent, subject to availability.
- A degree or equivalent in Pharmacy and registration as a pharmacist with the Pharmacy Board of Australia.
- Extensive contemporary clinical pharmacy experience and demonstrated ability to maintain currency of clinical knowledge
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills (both written and oral) and ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Practical understanding and experience in the implementation of the NSQHS standards and the national accreditation scheme for health
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of continuous quality improvement and managing change in the clinical environment.
- Proven capacity to coordinate clinical pharmacy services and manage staff.
- Extensive experience in the provision of continuing education and support to healthcare staff and patient groups.
- Ability to prioritise workload, manage time effectively, and problem solve independently with initiative.
- Proficiency in using Information Technology in clinical settings including substantial knowledge and experience with the use of electronic
medication management systems in acute care settings.
- An ability to interact effectively with people of diverse cultures.
- Postgraduate qualifications or research experience in clinical pharmacy or public health (desirable).
If you want your career to go places then join Department of Health in the Northern Territory. The challenges and opportunities in health and community care in the Territory are like no other in Australia, from remote Aboriginal health to tropical health and urban tertiary care. Continued investments in Aboriginal health, remote health, acute care and community services offer many opportunities for health professionals who want to be part of making a difference.
Applicants should address the selection criteria in a one page summary sheet and provide a current detailed CV and contact details for 2 referees. Information on the Northern Territory and its great lifestyle is available at www.theterritory.com.au
Note: The preferred or recommended applicant will be required to hold a current Working with Children Clearance notice / Ochre Card (application forms available from https://forms.pfes.nt.gov.au/safent/Apply.aspx?App=WWC) and undergo a criminal history check. A criminal history will not exclude an applicant from this position unless it is a relevant criminal history.
How to ApplyVia this website
Download this position description and apply directly: Further Information:
Contact: Tristen Pogue 08 8922 88424