Job Code: 9062
Employer: Calvary Public Hospital Bruce
Salary: $ 87,257 - $ 91, 942
Closing application date: 14/03/2018
- Apply advanced knowledge, skills, professional judgement and initiative in the delivery of clinical pharmacy services, including novel, complex or difficult tasks as guided by the supervisor(s).
- Apply independent, professional judgement and problem solving skills to provide high level medication management services and interventions using established clinical pharmacy standards of practice. May work across arrange of clinical services, but specialisation in a specific clinical service may be supported.
- Provide high level advice and medication recommendations through effective negotiation and liaison within patient centred, multidisciplinary settings.
- Participate in all components of the medication management pathway to promote the quality use of medicines.
- Provide high level medicines information.
- Participate in and supervise the preparation of sterile and non-sterile extemporaneous pharmaceuticals.
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of training, education and professional development activities for the pharmacy department, hospital staff and students.
- Participate in the Pharmacy Residency Program as a preceptor for CPHB SHPA Residents; applying skills attained through appropriate training and assessment qualifications
- Initiate and coordinate quality improvement projects, research activities and promote the quality use of medicines and medication safety through liaison and networking within the hospital, external agencies/groups and professional bodies.
- Contribute to the evaluation and analysis of policies and procedures applicable to pharmacy practice and the quality use of medicines.
- Maintain ongoing professional education, and current clinical knowledge, to ensure ongoing standards of high quality medication management is provided.
- Provide pharmacy services on weekends and after hours as rostered, including on call.
- Salary packaging available for Little Company of Mary Health Care Employees, providing substantial tax benefits.
- Registration as a pharmacist with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Hospital pharmacy experience – minimum of 3 years cumulative post registration experience or extensive/diverse experience that is demonstrated to be equivalent and transferable at this level (at the discretion of the Director of Pharmacy or delegate)
- Postgraduate qualification eg. Masters in Clinical Pharmacy
- Membership with a relevant professional organisation and/or relevant special interest groups eg. SHPA
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent
- Advanced clinical pharmacy and therapeutics knowledge gained through extensive clinical experience and continuing education, with proven ability to apply this knowledge to ensure optimal medication management consistent with the SHPA Standards of Practice for Clinical Pharmacy.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex clinical scenarios, problem-solve and assist and supervise less experienced staff (HP1, HP2, Residents, students, TOs) in everyday clinical and practical dilemmas.
- Proven ability to develop the respect of, and maintain rapport with, clients of the Pharmacy service, and work as part of multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated project management skills in the areas of policy and procedure development and review; quality use of medicines projects and medication safety.
- A knowledge of the requirements for sterile and non-sterile compounding.
- Demonstrated ability in teaching, training and assessment; including the application of adult learning principles within the pharmacy department and wider organisation
- Evidence of undertaking CPD that is consistent with the achieving advanced level framework competencies
Calvary Public Hospital is a modern healthcare service comprising a 256 bed general hospital located in a beautiful bush land setting in the northern suburbs of Canberra. We are a teaching hospital of the Australian National University, The University of Canberra and the Australian Catholic University. The hospital also has a 19 bed hospice – Clare Holland House – located a short distance away.
The Public Hospital is funded by ACT Health Directorate and managed by the Little Company of Mary Health Care.
For further information, please see the website
Calvary Public Hospital Bruce provides an extensive range of inpatient, ambulatory care and outreach facilities and services.
Our inpatient services include:
- Emergency medicine
- Intensive Care
- Oncology (day unit)
- General medicine
- General surgery
- Hospital in the Home
- Mental health
- Palliative care services (specialist unit and home based palliative care)
- Maternity services
Calvary Public Hospital Pharmacy has approximately 30 FTE positions, of which 20 are pharmacist positions. We provide a range of Pharmacy services including clinical pharmacy service to ward areas, quality improvement projects, medication safety initiatives, AMS program, clinical trials, student teaching and training as well as on-site aseptic manufacturing.
Hours of operation are from 0800 to 1730 Monday to Friday, with a dispensary based service on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays 0900 to 1600 and a clinical pharmacy service to MAPU on weekends 0800-1600. An on-call pharmacist service is maintained outside of core hours and rotational roster arrangement is used to manage the weekend service requirements for both pharmacists and technical officers.
Clinical placements are supported as an important part of student training and exposure to a potential future workplace. We accept regular student placements from a number of pharmacy schools each year. We also support the Pharmacy Intern Training Programs, accepting one graduate each year to undertake their year of supervised practice. Calvary has been provisionally accredited by SHPA for the inaugural Residency Program commencing in 2017.
Services to the hospital include, ward clinical pharmacy services, patient counseling and continuum of care management, participation in outpatient cardiac rehabilitation education, pharmacotherapy education sessions for hospital staff, aseptic manufacturing services, individual patient dispensing for non-imprest stock, ward imprest supplies, and some outpatient dispensing. The aseptic dispensing service is provided using the Department’s clean room and laminar flow cabinet, with formulation of total parenteral nutrition (TPN), and other I.V additives and epidural dose forms.
A significant commitment to undergraduate education is demonstrated by providing pharmacotherapy education sessions to medical students from the Australian National University and nursing students at the University of Canberra and Australian Catholic University.
A commitment to medication safety is reflected by participation in various Quality Use of Medicines projects and Drug Usage Evaluation (DUE) projects. Calvary pharmacists have presented their research projects at the Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia annual medicines management conferences. Posters presented can be viewed outside the pharmacy department.
Pharmacy is strongly represented on Hospital Committees including The Drug and Therapeutics Committee, Accreditation Committees, Clinical Review, Critical Care, Adverse Drug Reaction Committee, Infection Control, Pain Management, Medication Safety Working Group, and the Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee. Pharmacy contributes to hospital-wide quality, safety and risk activities and clinical health improvement programs.
Canberra is a great modern city with a wonderful café culture, national attractions and exhibitions, great shopping and dining experiences and many outdoor activities. Canberra has extensive bike paths, two beautiful lakes and plenty of walking tracks. Canberra is close to many other regions such as the Snowy Mountains, The South Coast and the cool climate wine country, making weekend adventures easy to plan.
You can visit the local Canberra tourist website for more information
How to ApplyVia this website
Further Information: Liisa Nurmi, Director of Pharmacy, (02) 6201 6269