Primary Objective: The Intern Pharmacist position at the Alice Springs Hospital allows a pharmacy graduate to gain experience in all aspects of hospital pharmacy to enable them to register as a Pharmacist.
Key Duties and Responsibilities (under the supervision of a registered pharmacist):
- Assist with inpatient and outpatients dispensing and related counselling.
- Provide ward based clinical pharmacy service in accordance with departmental guidelines and Society of Hospital Pharmacist Australia (SHPA) standards of practice for clinical pharmacy.
- Assist in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals including non-sterile products.
- Provide culturally appropriate drug information and continuing education for clients and other hospital staff when required.
- Assist in the monitoring of drug use and implementation of pharmaceutical related policies within Alice Springs Hospital (ASH).
- Assist with drug distribution and maintenance of accurate prescription records.
- Participate in clinical rotation to other Department of Health hospitals and remote communities when required.
- Participate in weekend and public holiday shifts.
- Follow defined service quality standards, work health and safety policies and procedures relating to the work being undertaken in order to ensure high quality, safe services and workplaces.
- Hours of work are 8am to 4.21pm Monday to Friday (1 hour lunch). The department is open for reduced hours on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. You will be required to participate in the weekend and on-call rosters, all of which entail additional pay.
- Up to $500 reimbursement for costs incurred for relocating to Alice Springs.
- SIX weeks of paid annual recreation leave, plus leave loading.
- Salary sacrifice of up to $9 005 is available. Additional salary sacrifice can be accessed through car leases and meals.
- Professional Development Allowance up to $550 per full year of service, for assistance with continuing professional development, seminars, conferences, research or maintaining qualifications.
- On-site accommodation may be available for a nominal rent, subject to availability.
- Access to full/partial government scholarships for post-graduate studies and other work-related courses.
- Study leave days available after 6 months of service.
- 3-4 weekly clinical rotations.
- Pharmacists working in Alice Springs are eligible for the 6CPA funding to support costs associated with travel and accommodation to attend professional development activities.
- A degree or equivalent qualification in Pharmacy and eligibility for professional registration with the Pharmacy Board of Australia.
- Sound communication skills (written and oral) and an ability to work well with other staff.
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge gained at undergraduate level to practice based scenarios.
- Self-motivated and ability to work unsupervised in completing course work.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and the ability to prioritise tasks.
- An ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures.
- Demonstrated understanding of Indigenous health issues
- Previous experience in a hospital pharmacy environment
Alice Springs Hospital (ASH) has over 200 beds and has a catchment area of 1.6 million square kilometres. Tertiary referral centres are over 1500km away, making this a service of last resort. The hospital has links with multiple Australian Pharmacy Schools and is a teaching centre for Flinders Medical School. Areas of speciality include Indigenous health, Renal, Intensive Care, Infectious Diseases, Emergency, Maternity and Obstetrics, Rehabilitation, Hospital in the Home, Palliative Care, Day Oncology, Mental Health, and General Medical, Surgical and Paediatric areas.
The pharmacy is a modern and progressive department which employs 16 pharmacists, 1 intern pharmacist and 10 pharmacy technicians. Services provided include ward based clinical and drug information services to Alice Springs and Tennant Creek Hospitals, as well as in-patient and out-patient dispensing, and non-sterile manufacturing. The regional pharmacy provides medicines and advice to remote health clinics in the NT, WA, SA and QLD border. We have a strong commitment to professional development and will support the successful candidate to further their clinical skills. ASH Pharmacy has been an accredited SHPA Foundations Residency Program site since 2017 and continues to offer a robust Program to some junior pharmacists.
The Intern Pharmacists also has the opportunity to shadow a pharmacist in Tennant Creek Hospital for up to 2 weeks at a time. Transport is by light aircraft with the Royal Flying Doctor Service or chartered plane.
The Northern Territory is a great place to live and work, with a young, multi-cultural population, a rich culture, great schools and strong employment and real estate growth.
The Central Australian climate is desert, with hot summers and cool winters and supports a relaxed, outdoor lifestyle. Spectacular natural attractions such as the MacDonnell ranges and the Larapinta Trail are on your back doorstep. Alice Springs is the closest town to Uluru, Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Watarrka (Kings Canyon), popular Australian icons that attract thousands of international tourists each year.
To keep you entertained, Alice Springs has state-of-the-art sporting facilities, cinemas, a strong emphasis on community arts, and a great social atmosphere. The Territory is building on its strengths to make the future even brighter and is filled with opportunity – for individuals and for families. For more information on living and working in the NT, visit www.theterritory.com.au “The Territory – Boundless Possible”
Contact: Danny Tsai 0423 275 168