Job Code: 25891
Employer: Austin Health
Salary: As per hospital pharmacist award
Closing application date: 17/03/2019
An opportunity exists for a pharmacist to take up this challenging and rewarding role. The successful applicant must have extensive hospital pharmacy experience, well developed clinical pharmacy knowledge, good understanding of hospital clinical pharmacy services, quality use of medicine, excellent organisation and effective communication skills, proven ability to identify and solve problems and be able to represent the pharmacy department on internal and external committees.
The Medicine Optimisation Program is an innovative initiative to promote quality use of medicines across Austin Health.
The goals of Medicine Optimisation Program are to ensure cost-effective use of medicines, improve patient safety and outcomes, and overall quality of patient care.
The role of Medicine Optimisation Program Pharmacist is to collaborate and work with clinical pharmacologists, pharmacy and clinical leadership, relevant committees and patients (consumers) to identify key therapeutic areas of improvement and overall cost savings, establish policy and implement initiatives, coordinate interventions and activities to improve patient outcomes and achieve economic savings.
car parking at reasonable rates,
financial support and encouragement to attend work-related conferences,
close to public transport.
1. Registered as a pharmacist with Australian Health Practitioners Registration Authority (AHPRA).
2. Post-graduate qualification in pharmacy practice or equivalent.
3. Extensive hospital pharmacy experience.
4. Well-developed clinical pharmacy knowledge.
5. Demonstrated understanding of hospital clinical pharmacy services, quality use of medicines and therapeutics.
6. Experience in managing change and service development.
7. Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team.
8. Demonstrated leadership and complex decision-making skills.
9. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated educational experience.
10. Ability to liaise with medical, nursing, pharmacy and administrative staff.
11. Ability to represent the pharmacy department on committees (internal or external).
12. Ability to search and evaluate medical literature and translation into clinical practice.
13. Competent computer skills in MS office application including MS Excel and/or MS Access
14. A commitment to Austin Health values: Integrity, Accountability, Respect and Excellence.
The Pharmacy Department provides comprehensive high quality pharmaceutical care to Austin Health patients and supports other members of the healthcare team in all aspects of medicines management. The Department consists of about 100 full time equivalent staff over 3 campuses within Austin Health. The team consists of pharmacists and technical and support personnel who work together to ensure patients receive the highest quality pharmaceutical care possible. We aim for quality use of medicines by providing clinically focussed services and giving patient safety the highest priority.
The Pharmacy Department has representatives on all Committees from Medication Management perspective. This includes Medication Management Committee, Drugs and Therapeutics Committee, Adverse Drug Reaction Committee, Cytotoxic Safety Committee, Cerner Medication Module Governance Committee, Drugs Trials Sub-Committee and Nursing Medication Administration Working Party.
Clinical pharmacy services to all inpatients, outpatients and other clinical areas including the Emergency Department and Operating Suite
Ambulatory pharmacy services
Manufacturing of sterile preparations, intravenous admixtures and non-sterile production (including repackaging).
Cytotoxic reconstitution and compounding
Clinical Trial Services
Quality Use of Medicines
Hospital in the Home
Teaching and supervision to intern pharmacists and pharmacy students
Victorian Poisons Information Center
How to ApplyDownload this position description and apply directly: Further Information:
Contact: Dr David Liew 9496 5485