Employer: Alice Springs Hospital, Central Australian Health Service
Salary: Remuneration Package $94,941 - $113,530 (including salary $82,050 - $98,396)
Closing application date: 30/07/2019
***Pharmacists with hospital experience strongly encouraged to apply. Express your interest ASAP, do not wait until closing date***
Primary Objective: Responsible for the direct provision of all required pharmaceutical services to clients and staff of Alice Springs Hospital (ASH) and Tennant Creek Hospital (TCH) including inpatient and outpatient dispensing, supervision of technical staff, ward based clinical services, non-sterile manufacturing and provision of drug information.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a ward based clinical pharmacy service in accordance with national standards and departmental guidelines to nominated wards.
- Supervise technical staff in accord with relevant legislation, regulations, local Policies and Codes of Practice.
- Assist with inpatient and outpatient dispensing and related counselling.
- Provide culturally appropriate drug information and continuing education for clients and other hospital staff.
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities and ongoing medication safety initiatives.
- Assist in the development and review of guidelines, protocols and policies.
- Assist in the monitoring of drug use and implementation of pharmaceutical related policies within ASH.
- Assist with drug distribution and maintenance of accurate prescription records.
- Participate in regular clinical rotations to NT hospitals and visit remote communities when required.
- Follow defined service quality standards, work health and safety policies and procedures relating to the work being undertaken in order to ensure high quality, safe services and workplaces
- Foster a positive workplace culture through exemplary leadership practices and role modelling behaviour.
- Hours of work are 8am to 4.21pm Monday to Friday (1 hour lunch). The department is open for reduced hours on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. You will be required to participate in the weekend, on-call and the Tennant Creek Hospital rosters, all of which entail additional pay.
- Up to $500 reimbursement for costs incurred for relocating to Alice Springs
- SIX weeks of paid annual recreation leave, plus leave loading
- Salary sacrifice of up to $9 005 is available. Additional salary sacrifice can be accessed through car leases and meals.
- Professional Development Allowance up to $550 per full year of service, for assistance with continuing professional development, seminars, conferences, research or maintaining qualifications.
- On-site accommodation may be available for a nominal rent, subject to availability.
- Access to full/partial government scholarships for post-graduate studies and other work-related courses.
- Study leave days available after 6 months of service
- 6 month clinical rotations
- Pharmacists working in Alice Springs are eligible for the 6CPA funding to support costs associated with travel and accommodation to attend professional development activities
- A degree or equivalent qualification in Pharmacy and registration with the Pharmacy Board of Australia.
- Demonstrated sound level of current clinical pharmacy practice and knowledge.
- Willingness to participate in continuing education activities of self, and provision of sessions to hospital staff.
- Ability to think laterally and problem solve independently with initiative.
- Demonstrated participation in CQI activities and medication safety initiatives.
- Sound communication skills, both written and oral, ability to work well with all other staff.
- Ability and willingness to travel by plane (both twin propeller and jet), and spend some nights away from Alice Springs as part of departmental roster to other NT hospitals.
- An ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures.
- Previous hospital pharmacy experience
- Previous experience working with Indigenous Health
Alice Springs Hospital (ASH) has over 180 beds and is the sole hospital in Central Australia with a catchment area of 1.6 million square kilometers. The hospital has links with multiple Australian Pharmacy Schools and is a teaching centre for Flinders Medical School. Areas of speciality include Indigenous health, Renal, Intensive Care, Infectious Diseases, Emergency, Maternity and Obstetrics, Rehabilitation, Hospital in the Home, Palliative Care, Day Oncology, Mental Health, and General Medical, Surgical and Paediatric areas.
The pharmacy is a modern and progressive department which employs 13 pharmacists, 1 intern pharmacist and 10 pharmacy technicians. Services provided include ward based clinical and drug information services to Alice Springs and Tennant Creek Hospitals, as well as in-patient and out-patient dispensing, and non-sterile manufacturing. The regional pharmacy provides medicines and advice to remote health clinics in the NT, WA, SA and QLD border. We have a strong commitment to professional development and will support the successful candidate to further their clinical skills.
Clinical Pharmacists also have the opportunity to rotate to Tennant Creek Hospital to be the sole pharmacist on-site for up to 2 weeks at a time. Transport is by light aircraft with the Royal Flying Doctor Service or chartered plane.
The Northern Territory is a great place to live and work, with a young, multi-cultural population, a rich culture, great schools and strong employment and real estate growth.
The Central Australian climate is desert, with hot summers and cool winters and supports a relaxed, outdoor lifestyle. Spectacular natural attractions such as the MacDonnell ranges and the Larapinta Trail are on your back doorstep. Alice Springs is the closest town to Uluru, Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Watarrka (Kings Canyon), popular Australian icons that attract thousands of international tourists each year.
To keep you entertained, Alice Springs has state-of-the-art sporting facilities, cinemas, a strong emphasis on community arts, and a great social atmosphere. The Territory is building on its strengths to make the future even brighter and is filled with opportunity – for individuals and for families. For more information on living and working in the NT visit www.australiasnorthernterritory.com.au “The Northern Territory – come share our story”
We are currently seeking an adventurous, enthusiastic, motivated pharmacist to join our clinical pharmacy team.
How to ApplyDownload this position description and apply directly: Further Information:
Contact: Angela Young 08 89517570