Job Code: TBA
Employer: Calvary Public Hospital Bruce, Canberra Haydon Drive Bruce ACT
Salary: $ 70,197-$ 84,816
Closing application date: 06/10/2017
- Apply knowledge, skills and professional judgement for the delivery of routine pharmacy services including dispensing and clinical pharmacist activities such as taking patient medication histories, medication review, clinical review and the provision of medicines information.
- Participate in all components of the medication management pathway to promote the quality use of medicines.
- Contribute to the multidisciplinary approach to patient centred care including participation in team meetings.
- Prepare/check sterile and non-sterile extemporaneous pharmaceuticals.
- Provide a range of training and educational activities for hospital staff and patients/carers.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and performance review.
- Participate in quality improvement activities and research projects.
- Provide high quality customer service.
- Provide pharmacy services on weekends and after hours as rostered.
How to Apply:
- Salary packaging available for Little Company of Mary Health Care Employees, providing substantial tax benefits.
- Registration as a pharmacist with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Hospital pharmacy experience
- Membership with a relevant professional organisation eg. SHPA
You will be selected based on the following:
- Good clinical pharmacy and therapeutics knowledge consistent with 1-2 years post registration experience.
- Demonstrated experience in clinical pharmacy activities, consistent with SHPA Standards of Practice for Clinical Pharmacy Services (J Pharm Pract Res 2013; 43 (2): S2-S69).
- High level interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to building effective working relationships, including ability to provide professional supervision to other staff and students.
- An ability to develop and maintain rapport with clients of the pharmacy service, and the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development
Calvary Public Hospital is a modern healthcare service comprising a 250 bed general hospital located in a beautiful bush land setting in the northern suburbs of Canberra. We are a teaching hospital of the Australian National University, The University of Canberra and the Australian Catholic University. The hospital also has a 19 bed hospice – Clare Holland House – located a short distance away.
The Public Hospital is funded by ACT Health Directorate and managed by the Little Company of Mary Health Care.
For further information, please see the website below:
Calvary Public Hospital provides an extensive range of inpatient, ambulatory care and outreach facilities and services.
Our inpatient services include:
- Emergency medicine
- Intensive Care
- Oncology (day unit)
- General medicine
- General surgery
- Hospital in the Home
- Mental health
- Palliative care services (specialist unit and home based palliative care)
- Maternity services
- Aged Care Rehabilitation services
Calvary Public Hospital Pharmacy has approximately 30 FTE positions, of which 20 are pharmacist positions. We provide a range of Pharmacy services including clinical pharmacy service to ward areas, quality improvement projects, medication safety initiatives, AMS program, clinical trials, student teaching and training as well as on-site aseptic manufacturing.
Hours of operation are from 0800 to 1730 Monday to Friday, with a dispensary based service on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays from 0900 to 1600 with a clinical service to MAPU on weekends and public holidays from 0800-1600. An on-call pharmacist service is maintained outside of core hours and rotational roster arrangement is used to manage the weekend service requirements.
Clinical placements are supported as an important part of student training and exposure to a potential future workplace. We accept regular student placements from a number of pharmacy schools each year. We also support the Pharmacy Intern Training Programs, accepting one graduate each year to undertake their year of supervised practice. Calvary is now accredited as a site for the SHPA Residency Program and has two residents who commenced the program in February 2017.
Services to the hospital include, ward clinical pharmacy services, patient counseling and continuum of care management, participation in outpatient cardiac rehabilitation education, pharmacotherapy education sessions for hospital staff, aseptic manufacturing services, individual patient dispensing for non-imprest stock, ward imprest supplies, and some outpatient dispensing. The aseptic dispensing service is provided using the Department’s clean room and laminar flow cabinet, with formulation of total parenteral nutrition (TPN), and other I.V additives and epidural dose forms.
A significant commitment to undergraduate education is demonstrated by providing pharmacotherapy education sessions to medical students from the Australian National University and nursing students at the University of Canberra and Australian Catholic University.
A commitment to medication safety is reflected by participation in various Quality Use of Medicines projects and Drug Usage Evaluation (DUE) projects. Calvary pharmacists have presented their research projects at the Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia annual medicines management conferences. Posters presented can be viewed outside the pharmacy department.
Pharmacy is strongly represented on Hospital Committees including The Drug and Therapeutics Committee, Accreditation Committees, Clinical Review, Critical Care, Adverse Drug Reaction Committee, Infection Control, Pain Management, Medication Safety Working Group, and the Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee. Pharmacy contributes to hospital-wide quality, safety and risk activities and clinical health improvement programs.
Canberra is a great modern city with a wonderful café culture, national attractions and exhibitions, great shopping and dining experiences and many outdoor activities. Canberra has extensive bike paths, two beautiful lakes and plenty of walking tracks. Canberra is close to many other regions such as the Snowy Mountains, The South Coast and the cool climate wine country, making weekend adventures easy to plan.
How to ApplyVia this website
Further Information: Lisa Nurmi, Director of Pharmacy (02) 6201 6269