Job Code: NIHRAC
Employer: The Norfolk Island Health and Residential Aged Care Service (NIHRACS)
Salary: $ 39,990 - $ 42,369
Closing application date: 21/02/2018
This position is suited to a highly motivated person who will provide clinical pharmacy services to NIHRACS patients and staff with the objective of providing best quality outcomes.
This role provides an exceptional opportunity for an experienced healthcare worker to demonstrate their skills and experience in a unique and beautiful environment.
The role undertakes clinical pharmacy activities in accordance with appropriate policy and procedures, with reference to the SHPA “Guidelines for the practice of clinical pharmacy activities, including:
- Medication reconciliation on patient admission, transfer and discharge
- Medication chart and pharmaceutical reviews for inpatients and residential aged care patients on: appropriate medication use, dosage and timing; drug interactions and incompatibilities; adverse drug reactions, their management and reporting
- Promote quality use of medicines and assist in the establishment of NIHRACS Drug and Therapeutic Committee (medication safety committee) its decisions and processes
- Therapeutic drug monitoring
- Development and provision of antimicrobial stewardship service
- Liaise with community pharmacy services to ensure continuity of care upon transition Participate in ongoing quality review processes, including:
- Reporting and monitoring of medication incidents, assist patient safety & quality staff and Management with resolving and preventing medication related problems
- The development of local policies and procedures relating to medication safety
- Appropriately document and record clinical interventions, quality measures and undertake audits and drug use evaluation as required
Undertakes, dispensing and ward supply as required and oversee stock management, including:
- Ordering of stock medications from wholesale suppliers
- Provision of pre-pack medications for after-hours use
- Ordering, supply and monitoring of S8 and S4D medications and their use in accordance with policy and legislative requirements
- Compliance with clozapine patient monitoring program and liaising with the clozapine coordinator
- Monitoring and review of use of high risk medicines
Provide education and advice to staff and patients including:
- Participation in orientation for new staff to NIHRACS
- Provide education and support to clinicians around relevant medications, prescribing and drug interactions
- Patient/carer/family medication counselling and education and provision of medication lists for patients upon discharge
Ensures medication practices and pharmacy services within NIHRACS are in accordance with legislative requirements, best practice guidelines and standards, including:
- Security and control of drugs of addiction and other specified medicines
- Working in accordance with WH&S policy, EEO policies and procedures
- Management and handling of medicines to ensure the safety of staff, stock and equipment
- Appropriate disposal of medications
To apply for this role, please send your CV and a letter addressing how you meet each of the selection criteria to Ms Kathleen Boman, Manager NIHRACS
- Registered as a Pharmacist authorised to practice by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Experience in the provision of clinical ward pharmacy services in a hospital setting, including aseptic manufacture and the ability to practice unsupervised.
- Knowledge of sterile manufacture, stability of antibiotics and other extemporaneously prepared products, or willingness and capability to develop that knowledge base.
- Knowledge of legislation governing drug use, in both hospital and community settings; understanding of medication safety, quality assurance, PBS and best practice.
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills and proven capacity to work as a team member.
- Proven organisational and time management skills and with the ability to prioritise according to organisational needs.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to work with the Microsoft Suite of products and health and pharmacy specific programs.
- Current Driver’s License and the ability to travel if required.
How to ApplyFurther Information:
Contact: Kathleen Boman, NIHRACS Manager, email@example.com (0011) 6723 22091